Sunday 28 February 2010

Shabby rose

After seeing the pictures of Elaine's stash for our current Quartet Challenge, I felt inclined to work on something a little more 'loved up' than is my usual style.

I used image transfers of roses and collaged sheet music along with pieces of newspaper to create a background for something I haven't quite decided on yet. At that point I came across Rachel's tutorial for a shabby rose. She had made the loveliest newspaper roses and I decided I just had to have a go. This was the result of my efforts. If you look carefully you'll see the petals are made from the lonely hearts columns! Rachel had edged her original roses with glitter but I thought that would be too heavy for the newspaper ones so I just ran a Stardust pen round the edges of the petals. It doesn't seem to have caught the light in this picture.


The flower was really easy to make and I'm already thinking of variations I want to have a go at. Whether that background will ever see the light of day is another matter.

5 comments:

judith@poppy cottage said...

This is really pretty Jo, I love newspaper print used on flowers.Well, on anything really, but this is gorgeous. I really like how you've coloured it too. Judith x

Jo said...

Thanks, Judith. I forgot to say it was coloured with Fired Brick Distress Ink.

craftimamma said...

This is great Jo. Love the apt use of the 'Lonely Hearts' column and it's turned out beautifully.

Guess what I found in my punches box the other day? A teardrop shaped punch which I think would be great to make most of the petals for one of these flowers. Gotta have a go!

Lesley Xx

Elaine G said...

This flower is brilliant and the idea of making it from the Lonely hearts column is inspired. I need a lesson from you on making these when I see you!

Elaine xx

b.b.flockling * Rose said...

Your shabby rose has thoroughly caught my imagination...I am just wondering how it might look as a hat for one of my dolls! Thank you for sharing it, Jo!!!