Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Victorian Washstand Tile

This card was 100% inspired by a Victorian washstand tile. I made it as a challenge to myself when I found myself admiring the tile and then realised I had the stamps to reproduce all the elements. The card consists of a black mirri card background, a cream coloured frame mounted on foam tape and layered geraniums which are behind the frame at the base but 'grow' out over the frame. When I made my first attempt I stamped and embossed the frame and flowers on one piece of card. But I decided it was too flat so this version has a separate frame and two layers of flowers. The original flowers were coloured using Tinkabella inks. I loved the 'glazed' finish of the inks but the colour wasn't quite right. I'm still not entirely happy with the colour but these flowers are quite lustrous. They were painted with two shades of mica watercolours and then I used blended pink and orange Tinkabellas over the top. The tile had a butterfly in the top right corner and I was ready to stamp mine but then decided it was the perfect place for a greeting so I used a peel off instead.

The card blank was part of a mixed pack and is high gloss. I'm not sure I've seen anything like it for cardmaking before.

All stamps are by Elusive Images.


craftimamma said...

This is lovely Jo and very clever too. I've had a good look at the close up and the colouring of the geraniums is gorgeous. Maybe the colour is not quite the same at the tile you used for inspiration but it's a darn good representation of geraniums I've had in my garden.

Once again, I envy your neat cutting out of the image. It almost looks diecut.

Lesley Xx

Val said...

Hi Jo

I think this is beautiful. Colouring is brilliant, and such a clever way to do this.